Mexican Black Bean Salad
- 2 cups corn kernels, frozen or fresh
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 100g jalapeno chillies in brine, drained (optional)
- 3 tbsp. brine from jalapeno chilli jar
- 50g natural yoghurt
- 1 x 425g can black (turtle) beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 large tomatoes, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups cos lettuce, shredded
- 4 large corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven grill to high.
- Tightly roll up tortillas and slice into ½ cm strips. Toss lightly in oil. Grill for 3-4 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Boil kettle. Place corn in heatproof dish and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 3-4 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Combine jalapeno brine and yoghurt in a small jug, season.
- Combine corn, capsicum, jalapenos, tomatoes, coriander, onion, avocado, cos lettuce and toasted tortilla strips in a salad bowl or on a platter.
- Drizzle with yoghurt dressing.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Not Only Delicious, But Also Nutritious Because:
- Black (turtle) beans are packed with fibre and protein, meaning they will keep you full for hours, which is important when you are trying to lose or manage your weight. Additionally, the mixture of soluble and insoluble fibre they contain is very beneficial to your digestive health.